Excerpt from article below | For full article click here
You can get breakfast all day. Order a “TV dinner” for dinner. And crawl in during the wee small hours of the weekend when they’re open until 5 a.m.
We’re talking about Howley’s, of course.
The iconic West Palm Beach restaurant has been named one of the 21 best diners in the country, by Thrillist, the internet lifestyle, food and entertainment site.
Why do we locals love it? Let us count the ways:
1. The look: It doesn’t get more atmospheric than the Florida Moderne
2. The people: There’s no blase hipster attitude among the rolled jeans-tatted-mustachioed but busy staff, which manages to be welcoming and cheery.of the original 1950 building, married to an addition that looks like a vintage Florida Room. A 2004 retro-chic renovation by restaurateur Rodney Mayo saved the best of the original diner (terrazzo floors, open grill, Formica-topped tables) with modern updates (local art work, red bar stools.)
3. The food: Comfort food bliss, with pot pies, short ribs, liver & onions, fried chicken with mashed potatoes. Top it off with Mom’s apple pie, a berry cobbler or a slice of BananaBanana cream.
4. The history: It’s served generations of West Palm Beachers since Patrick Howley opened his doors in 1950. Political schmoozing at Howley’s has a long tradition, from local city commission candidates to state and national office seekers including Charlie Crist, John McCain and George W. Bush.
5. The slogan: “Cooked in Sight…Must Be Right.”